Interested in becoming a certified wound care professional? Before registering in a program, you should do your homework first. Not all wound care certification programs are created equal. The following are some tips to help you choose the right program for your needs.
- Background and Discipline – what is your educational background? Are you a nurse, physician, physical therapist or other licensed professional? Do you have experience in wound care that will be beneficial as you study? What are the prerequisites for the program you are contemplating? Be sure that you meet these prerequisites before enrolling in a program of study.
- Cost – cost may be a factor for you if you are planning on paying to become certified on your own. If your employer is footing the bill, or bearing a portion of the cost, they may have a preference as to which certification program you pursue.
- Length of Study – are you in a hurry to become certified, or can you afford the luxury of time? Certification programs will vary in how long it takes the average person to complete the certification program, so you may want to check into this.
- Mode of Study – are you looking for a program that can be completed online? Most professionals these days are comfortable with online learning. If you are not, you may have to take some time to study each program for ease of use.
- Support – does the program you are interested in offer online support or a tutor you can turn to if you have questions? This may be an important factor if or when the content becomes more difficult.
- Certification Requirements – once you finish the course, what must you do to become certified? Is there an exam? Will you have to travel to write a certification exam and, if so, is there an examination venue close to you? Is there a cost associated with writing the exam? You may want to look into these factors before choosing your program.
Wound Educators offers wound certification courses designed to help you prepare for and pass any wound care certification exam. If you would like to evaluate the many wound care certification programs available, we offer a synopsis here.